Safe Abortion Supplies workstream
Safe Abortion Supplies workstream
Within the Reproductive Health Supplies Coalition (RHSC), we see the prevention of pregnancy, the termination of pregnancy, and the delivery of a newborn as critical life events shaping the reproductive health and well-being of any woman. But the safe and effective outcome of all these events hinges on the availability, choice, and affordability of quality-assured supplies.
The Safe Abortion Supplies (SAS) workstream is dedicated to increasing access to, and awareness of, high quality safe abortion supplies including mifepristone, misoprostol, manual vacuum aspiration (MVA), and combipacks. With key stakeholders and dedicated partners, this group is working to share relevant information and implement collective actions to achieve this goal.
The Secretariat support for this workstream is funded by FCDO, the David and Lucile Packard Foundation, an anonymous donor, and others.
- Lessons learned: Leveraging the role of national distributors to accelerate access to medical abortion combi-packs in sub-Saharan Africa
- Cost of goods sold analysis and recommendations to reduce costs of co‑packaged mifepristone–misoprostol for medical abortion
- Safe Abortion Breakout Session: Joint WHO UNICEF UNFPA Manufacturers Meeting
- COVID-19 and Safe Abortion Supplies: Early Findings
- Registering mifepristone for indications other than first trimester abortion - A landscape analysis report
- Mifepristona y misoprostol en seis países de América Latina: procesos de registro y disponibilidad
- Mifepristone's Multiple RH Indications: An overlooked opportunity for expanding access
- Múltiples indicaciones de la mifepristona en salud reproductiva: Una oportunidad desaprovechada para ampliar el acceso
- Landscape Assessment: Leveraging the role of national distributors to increase access to MA combi-packs in Africa
- Ensuring Access to Safe Abortion Supplies: Landscaping of barriers and opportunities
- SAS webinar: Strategies to Increasing Access
- What can be done to increase the affordability of quality-assured combi-packs? Analysis of the cost components and dynamics behind the pricing of this product
- Challenges and Routes of the Registration of Mifepristone in Bolivia (Spanish)
- Expanding Access to Medical Abortion across the Globe with Telehealth
- She Makes Her Safe Choice: A global programme to combat unsafe abortions
- Increasing access to mifepristone: Paving the path for registration and commercialization for additional indications Webinar
- How to Talk About Abortion Webinar
- IPPF Medical Abortion Commodities Database Webinar
- Combi-pack Commercial Distribution Landscape Assessment Webinar
- SAS Webinar: Combipack updates from WHO and Concept Foundation
- Access to Post abortion Care and Safe Abortion Supplies: Francophone Africa (French)
- Medical abortion for legal interruption of pregnancy for girls under 15: Advantages and Challenges (Spanish)
- Safe Abortion Supplies Workstream
Innovation Fund Grants
Increasing access to mifepristone
Gynuity Health Projects
Award amount: $108,277
Paving the way for registration and commercialization for additional indications (New and Underused Reproductive Health Technologies Caucus). Gynuity Health Projects will support efforts to register mifepristone at country level by emphasizing its wider role as a women’s health medication, administered by providers who both do and do not offer abortion services. More indications, it is hoped, will increase sales and thus market sustainability, which could in turn generate interest from the private sector.