Compass - Charting the Way Ahead
In late 2019, the world first heard about COVID-19. Since then, the virus has swept the globe. In a bid to understand the end-to-end supply chain impacts of the pandemic for reproductive health products in low- and middle-income countries, an in-depth assessment was commissioned: Building resilient sexual and reproductive health supply chains during COVID-19 and beyond: a community roadmap for action and technical findings. The Roadmap contains a series of broad, far-reaching recommendations in the areas of RH product markets, financing, supply chain strategies, policies, stewardship, and data.
Now, we offer you an initiative to help put the Roadmap into action. Compass — Charting the Way Ahead builds on the Roadmap’s analysis and findings, helping to point the way as our community navigates through these unprecedented times, and prepares for a post-pandemic reality.
The latest report
Adaptations Used to Ensure Contraceptive Access During the COVID-19 Pandemic
The report investigates Covid’s profound impact on RH supply chains and explores adaptations that stakeholders in sub-Saharan Africa have made in order to maintain access to RH commodities. Produced by inSupplyHealth, the report was issued under the auspices of RHSC’s Compass initiative which supports greater resilience in supply chains and marketplaces following the COVID-19 pandemic.
The report identifies four primary challenges presented by COVID-19: social distancing, restricted movement/travel, limited human resources, and constrained budgets. These challenges affected service provision, drove supply chain costs up, and compromised businesses. For RH programs and supply chains, these challenges resulted in constraints in three main areas: human resources and PPE for service provision and supervision; in-country commodity distribution; and global supply and logistics.
From globalization to greater regionalization of supply chains
Managing the competition for scarce resources
Learning from adaptations
- Report: Contraceptive Commodity Funding during the COVID-19 pandemic: Analysis of funding trends and potential pandemic impacts in low- and middle-income countries
- Interactive Data Annex Tool: https://compass-finance.rhsupplies.org/
- Presentation: Summary Presentation of the findings
- Blog: How resilient is our funding?
- Webinar: Contraceptive Commodity Funding During the COVID-19 pandemic
- 9 June 2023: Report Studies Adaptation Strategies Developed To Mitigate Pandemic’s Impact On RH Supply Chain
- 30 March 2023: How resilient is our funding?
- 23 February 2023: New Report Asks What Effect COVID-19 Had On RH Supply Funding
- 6 October 2022: New efforts gather speed under Compass initiative
- 3 December 2021: Sharing the Compass: Charting the way through COVID-19 and reproductive health supplies