Countdown 2015 meeting report now available
2nd December 2010
On October 7th 2010 Countdown 2015 partners came together at the Countdown 2015 Europe Expert Meeting in Brussels to discuss the Implementation of the EU's Commitments to Universal Access to Reproductive Health (MDG 5B) by 2015.
The main themes for further reflection by policy and decision makers are presented in the report. These include among others:
- Issues around budget support and the need to make it more effective;
- The ability to track funding for MDG target 5b;
- A needs based approach remains crucial;
- Sufficient and transparent allocations in national budgets;
- The need for vigilance in relation to restrictive laws which are hampering the efforts of civil society in the global south;
- Issues around absorptive capacity of developing countries; and
- The need to look beyond health, towards a more comprehensive approach on sexual and reproductive health and rights.
Also, a number of important opportunities to keep MDG target 5b on the international development agenda were highlighted at the meeting. These are also noted in the report. Download the report here.
Countdown 2015 Europe partners will keep interested stakeholders informed on how and when to be involved in these concrete initiatives and upcoming events.